Four Bizarre Laws Around the World

Being able to travel around the world is freedom beyond your wildest dreams but this does not mean you can do anything you want to do. Travelers from here and there sometimes get themselves caught by police for not knowing the laws and cultural norms of the country.

Here are some crazy laws to take note if you are traveling to one of these places:

Venice – Feeding Pigeons

When you are in Piazza San Marco in Venice, giving any kind of food to pigeons has been banned. Throwing birdseeds was one of the place’s trademarks but because of the massive population of the pigeons, the act is now punishable by a fine because the birds damage statues when they poop and to reduce the time cleaning the place. Just look for a nearby terrace and enjoy the wine while watching the birds flying around.

Maldives – Bringing Pornographic Materials and Liquor

Maldives is a country mainly occupied by Islamic believers but they do not ban non-Muslim objects such as the Bible. Only spiritual figures such as small statues are being banned by the customs. The country also bans bringing of pornographic materials and liquor. These include sexual gadgets and alcohol sold at airports. If you’re planning for a vacation here, just leave these items at home.

United Arab Emirates – Kissing in Public

If you are visiting countries in here, be informed that the countries in here have stricter laws than those of other countries you may already have visited. Kissing in public or any form of public display of affection can lead you to a night in jail. Expensive penalties are also implemented so ensure that you and your partner don’t do anything intimate while visiting Abu Dhabi or even Dubai.

Barbados – Using and Wearing Camouflage

In Barbados, only their military are allowed to wear camouflages. The ban was imposed in the 1980s to prevent terrorists and gang members from impersonating soldiers and doing crime.

The US Green Card and Its Benefits

A US green card is an evidence that a person is a legal permanent resident of the US but not yet a US citizen. It is a form of immigration ID about the size of a credit card. Getting a green card is an achievement you should be proud of. Having one brings many benefits with it. It is a guarantee that you are one step closer to becoming a full US citizen.

Green card holders enjoy these benefits:

Pay less tuition

Foreigners with green cards will be able to pay less for tuition to go to colleges or vocational schools. If they can show proof of residency in a state, they are given the “in state” status when applying for schools which give them lesser costs of tuition. They also have the right to apply for financial aid which can further lessen school fees.

Permanent Residency Status

Being a green card holder means that you do not keep reapplying to maintain a status as a permanent resident.  Renewal of status for green card holders is once every ten years. You renew your status by filing Form I-551 then submitting it to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Contribute to Election Campaigns

Green card holders can donate to election campaigns while non-citizens cannot. Although green card holders can contribute to campaigns, they are still restricted from voting during the elections. Only full US citizens have the right to vote during elections.

Sponsor Relatives

A green card holder’s immediate relative can be sponsored for their own green card. Immediate relatives include the husband/wife, parents and unmarried children which are below 21 years old.

Social Security Benefits

If a US green card holder can show proof that they have worked in the US for 10 or more years, they are privileged to receive social security benefits.

4 Common Types of US Visa

If you want to visit or work in the US, you must first be issued a visa by an embassy. But before you apply for a US visa, you must know which kind of visa you are applying for. There are a few different variations of a US visa. Here are the most common ones:

K1 Visa

This visa is more commonly known as the fiancé visa or engagement visa. This visa allows you to come to the US to marry and then remain here after the exchanging of vows. It is a single entry visa that can be obtained after your fiancé finishes an interview at a US consulate on the location he/she resides. After receiving the visa, the petitioned only has 6 months to use it to enter the US. Upon entry, the visa offers a 90-day stay. If you marry within this time period, your fiancé is allowed to stay in the US.

CR Visa

A CR visa or marriage visa is the type of visa you should apply for if you are already married or about to marry a US citizen. This is an immigrant visa which allows your spouse to relocate to the US permanently. If you are married with a US citizen before your child reaches 18 years old, it is possible to immigrate the child as a dependent as long as he/she is still single. The visa is called CR2 visa for the children of foreign spouses.

F1 Visa

If you want to study in the US, you can apply for the F1 visa or the student visa. Most colleges and universities in the US have offices with staff that can help foreign students with their visa issues. It is vital to use this assistance to guarantee that your visa processing will be handled correctly.

B1 Visa

The B1 visa or the tourist visa is the most commonly issued type of US visa. This visa is released to persons visiting the US for only a limited period of time. It is issued to individuals who attend business matters, work-related matters or for leisure.